Monday, March 27, 2006

Brain drain in education

EdWonk posts a story today explaining why a Math teacher with 12 years experience leaves the classroom for private industry.

The contracts that education unions have negotiated across America (and schools boards have agreed to!) are heavily weighted toward seniority. When I was teaching I tried as hard as I could but I couldn't seem to get older any faster.

In recent years we have had this scenario happen with several Math teachers who left for greener pastures.

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. A psychoanalyst might have fun with this. For instance, if your desire was to get "older faster", did you subconciously choose to be a superintendent because you believed that that career path would enable you to achieve that particular goal?

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006, Blogger Indiana Public School Superintendent said...

Yes,

I am happy to say it is working!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home